COMANO AND ITS SURROUNDING VILLAGES

Comano is located in the upper valley of the Taverone river, on the slopes of the Alp of Camporaghena, bordering the provinces of Parma and Reggio Emilia.

Its ancient castle served as a bulwark to the two important Apennine passes of Ospedelaccio and Cerreto. The first document which mentions the ancient village dates from 824 when it was donated to the new monastery of Aulla the "locus of Comano" (inhabited since Roman times) of which the castle was also part and had the function of protecting the local community.

In medieval times the territory of Comano was submitted in the first instance to the hegemony of the Estensi family, then succeeded by the Malaspina family in the second half of the twelfth century, first indirectly through the family vassal of Dallo, then, with the murder of Manuele Dallo by his brothers in the first half of the fourteenth century, the village was attacked and conquered by Spinetta Malaspina who killed and beheaded the assassins and annexed the village to the feud of Verrucola Fivizzano.

In 1478 Comano came under the domination of the Republic of Florence. Because of its strategic location connecting Tuscany and Emilia Romagna, Comano was fought over by the people of Lucca, Florence, the Spanish, French and Genoese. The Congress of Vienna assigned it to the Duchy of Modena, where it remained until the unification of Italy.

Initially under the Municipality of Fivizzano, it broke away in 1920 to become its own Municipality. The territory is typically mountainous, both rough and steep, with the economy traditionally based on agriculture and farming, has recently seen a positive trend thanks to the contribution of the tourism sector and social / health welfare.

The accommodation and catering sectors are in fact rapidly expanding and could potentially be the most important resource of the local economy.

From the urban perspective, the populated areas are characterized by the presence of stone houses decorated with sandstone portals and very beautiful archways.

The traditional stone work was in fact one of the most important activities of the past. The “stonemasons" of Comano were much sought after for their precious works of art like lace embroidered in stone. In the center of the town, you can for example admire the Parish Church of St. George with its beautiful portal in thirteenth century sandstone, adorned with three cherubs.

 
   
  P.IVA 00193880457